Director of Student Services and Affairs, Butaro, Rwanda
- Organization: Partners In Health (PIH)
- Country: Rwanda
- Field location: Butaro, Rwanda
- Office: Butaro District Hospital and Cancer Center
Job Title: Director of Student Services and Affairs
Reports to: Dean, Health Sciences Education
Group/Department: University of Global Health Equity (UGHE)
Location: Butaro, Rwanda
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
The University launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program, the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery (MGHD). The Bachelors of Medicine, Bachelors of Surgery (MBBS) program, to be launched in July 2019, aims to improve individual and population health by training diverse clinician leaders with the skills, attitudes, and commitment to promote wellness, to ease suffering, and to develop more effective and equitable health care delivery systems. Consistent with UGHE’s vision of training future leaders with expertise in health care delivery, our medical students will pursue a joint MBBS and MGHD degree.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in needed, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is seeking a Manager of Student Affairs who will be responsible for creating and preserving an environment conducive to all students’ well-being and to the promotion of the University’s equity agenda. S/he will oversee UGHE’s student offerings and services, ensuring that each student has the tools and support for success personally, professionally, and academically.
S/he will lead, manage, and provide oversight to the development of programs for students in the following areas:
- Alumni relations
- Career development
- Community engagement
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Culture
- Leadership development
- Recreation and leisure
- Residential life
- Student government
- International student services
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of three to five years of experience as a student affairs champion in a higher education setting. S/he must be committed to engaging collaboratively with faculty and students to respond effectively and empathetically to concerns. The Manager will interact with students, faculty, staff, and, on occasion, external partners at all levels, across time zones and cultures.
Programmatic Leadership and Development
- Serve as the representative for student affairs in any events in which UGHE students are engaged
- Lead the development of new programs and facilities related to student services and student experience, with deep attention to fostering an environment that enhances the students’ educational opportunities through an exceptional living and learning experience
- Develop short and long term strategic goals for UGHE’s Office of Student Affairs, ensuring alignment with UGHE’s core mission and vision
- Establish and foster a student culture where diversity is honored and where students learn to respect differences, to take responsibility for their actions, and to exercise leadership and community engagement, while also ensuring that all students are supported according to the equity values at the core of UGHE’s mission
- Develop formal and informal systems for receiving and addressing student feedback
- Report student feedback to University leadership and ensure timely implementation of solutions
- Proactively identify, as well as provide direction and management, to University leadership in response to any campus crises or emergency related to students’ well-being
Administration and Supervision
- Manage budget for the Office of Student Affairs
- Serve as the primary supervisor and mentor for staff members working in student and residential life
- Degree in higher education, student services/affairs, counselling, social work, or a related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in higher education, program administration, or counseling activities. Experience in multicultural education, community engagement, and/or leadership development.
- Demonstrated excellence in leadership, administrative skills, and the capacity to supervise and lead a student affairs team
- A passion for providing and supporting an environment in which all students can thrive and a deep commitment to the mission of the University as well as a vision for increased excellence in the student experience required
- Budget management experience
- Experience in project management and/or program creation, design, and implementation, particularly in a fast-paced, startup environments
- Proven ability to manage through crises with discretion and a sense of responsibility and respect for students, families, and the institution
- Strong communication skills and a proven ability to work with and represent the student experience to faculty, staff, alumni and other stakeholders
- Experience in multicultural working environment required; experience working in low and middle income countries preferred
- Fluency in English required; French and Kinyarwanda language skills desired
- This position will require working beyond traditional hours